Saturday, August 2, 2014

Nutty slice biscuit (biscotti)




Biscotti is a twice baked biscuit which originated from Italy, Prato.  As it was a very dry food and could be stored for long periods of time making it particularly useful during journeys and wars in the Roman ancient period.


I love all kinds of Biscotti, the sensation of crunch, the subtle sweetness of the biscuit, it goes perfectly with coffee during my tea breaks.
Since I'm always replenishing my supply of them, I bought myself a electric slicer which makes things much easier to cut them into the thinnest possible biscuit I could ever do.  It has been quite reliable and well worth my money!



I got this recipe from Pig Pig's Corner, originated from Alex Goh):


Ingredients (A)
4 egg whites
130g sugar
a pinch of salt


Ingredients (B)
Sifted together:
120g plain flour
30g rice flour


Chop all in (C)
50g pistachio
100g walnuts ( I ran out this, so I just doubled the almonds)
100g almonds
60g glazed ginger ( I skipped this too)



1.  Whip (A) until stiff.
2.  Add in (B) and  mix until all well blended.
3.  Add in (C) and mix well.
4.  Pour all into greased loaf tin.
5.  Bake in pre-heated oven at 175deg for 40 minutes.
6.  Let it cool and keep it overnight in fridge.
7.  Cut into very thin slices ( the thinner the crispier)
8.  Bake again at pre-oven of 150 deg, 15 minutes or until it is crispy and dried both sides. Keep turning both sides to check frequently.

No comments: